I woke up at 5am with a craving for Pop-Tarts. Unfortunately, there was nary a Tart of the Pop variety to be found in my impossibly tiny kitchen. I did, however, have a hodgepodge of random ingredients already on deck to be able to make some from (almost) scratch. So, this isn’t really a “recipe” recipe, ’cause I was just kinda winging it, but I’ll give you some general measurements and guidelines.
(Tangent: I’m a bit of an ingredient hoarder. I buy things with absolutely no purpose, only to use them at a later time. Like freeze-dried strawberries, guava paste, and ready-made pie dough lol)
I rummaged through the fridge and found a box of pre-made pie dough, a pack of guava paste my sister-in-law gave to me, the standard tub of mascarpone that I always keep in the fridge and voila… homemade Pop-Tarts!
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a small bowl, beat 1 egg with about 1 tbsp of water to make an egg wash.
- Place squares of dough onto parchment or silpat lined baking sheet and brush with eggwash. Top with 1 square of guava paste and a small dollop of mascarpone, about 1 tsp.
- Top with another square of pastry and press edges down to seal. You'll have to push down on the filling gently to flatten. Use a fork to crimp the edges. Optional step - throw a little more eggwash on top for some nice browning.
- Bake at 350F for 20 minutes.
- While baking, prepare the icing by mixing 2 cups of powdered sugar with 2 tbsp of powdered freeze-dried strawberries. Add in 1 tbsp of milk or water and stir to combine. Add more confectioners sugar for a thicker consistency, more water for a thinner one. Also, feel free to add more strawberry if you like. Taste and adjust.
- While still warm, add about 1 tsp of the strawberry icing to each tart. Let cool slightly and let the icing set.