This recipe was a happy little accident. I originally intended to make a butternut squash gratin, but when I cut into my butternut squash it was a rotting mess. Luckily, Chantal had some asparagus for me, so my butternut squash gratin happily became my asparagus gratin.
You don’t *really* need a recipe for this. In fact, I didn’t actually measure anything, so I’m just going to give you some approximations – adjust any and everything to your liking!
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup comté cheese, shredded (can sub. gruyere, fontina, emmental, etc)
- 3/4 cup panko (can sub. regular bread crumbs)
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place asparagus in a baking dish and top with sliced red onions. Add grated cheese and pour heavy cream over. Top with panko crumbs and add salt and pepper (a few grinds of each).
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until asparagus is tender, cheese and breadcrumbs are bubbly and browned. Serve immediately.